Monday, June 25, 2007

Set the foundation

I have tried just about every foundation out there. I used to use Neutrogena's SkinClearing Oil- Free makeup and swore by it. It is pretty light-weight and has salicylic acid to help fight blemishes. However, the coverage isn't so great and like all liquid foundations, it's feels pretty gross in the summer. Plus, with the salicylic acid, you have to be careful around the eye area.

Then last summer, on my first visit to Ulta (now one of my favorite stores), I discovered Pur Minerals' 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup. This stuff is amazing. I haven't been back to liquid foundations since. The coverage is great, but it doesn't feel heavy during the summer. And, since it's a powder rather than a liquid, it's less clogging to your pores. And you really can control the amount of coverage. The foundation can be used as a concealer, and since it's a powder, there's no need for a separate powder...or a sunscreen for that matter- it's SPF 30. I love it so much I've been pushing my friends to get it.

Another great foundation is Philosophy's the Supernatural. It's also a powder/mineral foundation, but unlike Pur, is loose powder. In that it's loose powder, it does sometimes leak from the container, which is unfortunate, because the applicator would be great if it wasn't for that one small flaw. Other than that, it gives great coverage, and like Pur, there's no need to use those annoying pressed powder compacts. I'm loving the extra space in my makeup bag. My only problem with it is that it's all-or nothing. Unlike Pur, which you can either use for light coverage or, by just applying a little more, go for full coverage, and use as a concealer, the Supernatural does not have those options. There's no 'light' coverage about it. But other than that, I would definitely recommend it.

3 comments:

Carrie M said...

I'm a Bare Escentuals gal, through and through. I have converted many. I've been offered jobs at Sephora by saleswomen who see me in action by the BE stuff in their stores. Overall though, I support mineral makeup, so whatever works for your individual type and taste.

likely the new layout!

Carrie M said...

dammit. LIKEY the new layout.

Ashburnite said...

I've heard Bare Escentuals is great, but I'm pretty loyal to Pur- it was my first mineral foundation. And I love that it's in pressed form, so less messy. But I guess all minerals are pretty much the same.

and thanks...I've been playing around with different layouts, and I think I'm sticking to this one.